365 Days Shooting An Olympic Recurve

Over the past 365 days I’ve shot an Olympic recurve bow and not touched a compound bow.  During that time I took 98 days off as recover breaks.  I practiced or competed 267 days.  The total number of arrows shot: 34,771.

Over the recurve course I’ve broken one riser, replaced three strings, and worn out the leather on my tab four times.  I’ve upgraded my sight three times and increased the limb poundage four times.  Three arrows rests broke and I’m on my fourth.  The original plunger broke when the riser snapped in half.  I added a clicker to the bow’s riser after 8 months of shooting without one. Eleven arrows have died a Robin Hood death,

Arrows have been changed a lot.  I’m on the third spine increase.  I have bought very inexpensive arrows all less than $100.00 per dozen for complete arrows.  My current arrows, the most expensive so far, cost $6.90 each.

The price to play, excluding tournaments, is less than $2200.00.  The big-ticket items are the latest new sight, $364.00 and PSE riser at $812.00.  The limbs are inexpensive ranging from $99.00 to my current set at $149.00.  The initial complete set-up priced out at $460.00 and that included a tab, bow stand, stringer and arm guard.

When I started I used bow stand every time I shot.  Now, I skip at step. I also took the string off my bow even between practices and a night.  That was twice a day string the bow. Now, the string is more permanent as it rarely is removed.

Overall I’ve improved.  I believe once I get proper arrows my groups will tighten.  The arrows I have now aren’t right.

I’d purchased my current arrows with a 120 grain tip to compensate for the spine having been cut to more accuracy reflect my draw length on my last upgrade – the $6.90 arrows. The specifics for the build of the arrows were completed using a computer program. Once complete arrows seemed still to be a little stiff.  When I fall below 18 arrows, I buy another 6 arrows.

When I bought the last six I learned my confirmed 120-grain pile was 100 grain.  Replacing six yesterday I discovered the tips are in fact 90 grain.  Each purchased the sales tech confirmed what I bought.  For example, when I had the 120 grain pile applied the sales tech confirmed the tips were 120. When I made the next purchase of the $6.90 arrows I learned the tips were 100 grain and there was confirmation the tips were now 100 grain.  Then, I learned the 100-grain tips are in fact 90 grain.

I’d noticed some discoloration on my riser suggestive of the vanes touching repeatedly touch the riser when an arrow is launched.  Discovering the pile was 30 grains away from what I initially wanted I didn’t purchase any more arrows from that shop.

At home I dashed some talc powder on the riser and shot the arrows.  Indeed, the arrows are not clearing the riser. I’ll try a weaker spring in my plunger and see if that corrects the issue. All in all I’ve shot pretty well even with the arrows hitting the riser on their way down range.  It is a fixable problem.  One, which could have been avoided with some honesty or knowledge.

A year into recurve shooting I can see I’ve just scratched the surface of this style of shooting.  I’ve also discovered way my scores dropped when I’d have expected to see improvement.