Busy in Georgia

A close friend of mine, since the 7th grade, sent me an email. She’d noticed I’d not been posting much on Facebook or this website. She was a little concerned and wanted to know if I was okay. I really appreciated her inquiry and let her know all is fine, that I’ve been busy. We’re up in northeast Georgia visiting my 88-year-old father-in-law, Ray. With Ray, you can be assured you will be busy.

By busy, I don’t mean taking care of Ray. I mean keeping up with Ray. Every day starts before sunrise. Then, he’s working, for example loading 50-pound bags of feed onto one of his trucks. Naturally, I’ve got to pitch in or he’ll make me look bad. Once, I wasn’t paying attention, I’d been shooting, and discovered he’d loaded 500 pounds of corn into the bed of a truck whileI was gone. Granted the bags only weight 50 pounds each but part of the effort meant hauling each one about 15 yards from where they were stacked before throwing them into the truck.

That corn was then driven to his hunting property where we loaded it on ATVs and distributed it over selected areas located throughout his 800 acres. The ATV trails are a bit rough and there was a good bit of bouncing around involved during the delivery.

Lots of these big fellas on the property

There was, also, tractors to be dealt with, trailers to be attached (big trailers) and detached, fields to be walked and discussed, trail cameras to be checked and reloaded, and more bags of feed to be purchased, loaded and distributed. Ray had handled the second feed purchase, 450 pounds by himself. I’d have helped, but I still needed to work archery practice and was unaware he’d left to get the feed.  Running means out at the ‘puke of dawn’ for River and I.

Caught on a trail camera

Going through the woods to distribute the feed, Ray ride a John Deere 650cc Trail Buck. I was driving Polaris Crew because I was carrying the feed. Once we’d finished we headed back down trails to where we’d parked the truck. Ray drove off first. This was a decent trail with only a few pits, bumps, logs, and mud holes to transverse. Ray had a few seconds head start. When I say seconds, I mean seconds. I could see him twenty yards ahead. I want to say about twenty yards away so the debris that blows back from his ATV doesn’t end up on me.

There was one left hand turn. When I made that turn, Ray was gone. Not just way ahead, gone out of sight. I was, in spots, going 30 mph. The next time I saw Ray he was standing near his truck talking with Bruce and his son Jeff.

Bruce had shown up to do work on tractor accessories – plows, etc. He is also getting instruction on where to move tree stands, plow and clear land.  That turned into an hour of instruction.  What I remember most is that I was starving and ready for lunch. Ray seemed impervious to fatigue or hunger.

Anyway, Cathy, my friend, all is well.