Range Work and Repair

When we decided to move home to Georgia one of the requirements was land.  Land for privacy, quiet, and archery.  Initially, the target amount of land was 5 to 10 acres.  We settled for less.

This issue regarding acreage wasn’t price so much as it was construction and location.  While we find many wonderful old Southern homes with plenty of land all needed rehab.  Securing a construction company that we could rely upon to upgrade these old homes seemed less and less likely.

We ended up with building a house on a little over 3 acres in a small development on the cusps of Athens. Although we didn’t end up with the amount of land we wanted we did land in a good location. The building of the house from start to finish was only 6 months.

The three plus acres has turned out to be just enough if not just right.  More land would have been better.  The property we do have serves me pretty well with archery.  It isn’t prefect but I can make do.

There’s now a 70-yard lane to practice targets and 18 3-D targets sitting on the back part of the lot that is wooded.  If I need to shoot further I must step over the line to a neighbors property for which he’s given me permission.

This is important when practicing 70 meters or roughly 77 years.  I did have 75 yards bit lost five yards when I put a backstop behind my target butts.  This was necessary when the property next to us sold.  The new owner was afraid I’d miss the target and an arrow might land in her woods.  Granted, the target is over 100 yards from her house and sitting so that an errant arrow would land in the nature berm between the two lots.  Anyway, to keep the peace I built the backstop and lost 5 yards.

Backstop that ate some yardage and the butt to be repaired

To practice all I need to do is walk out from my back yard, through the fence and onto my range.  I get to do a lot of shooting.  As a result my targets take a beating.

Targets don’t last.  I have to plug holes every few months.  Today I needed to repair my 48 inch round butt I use for 122 cm targets.  Because I have multiple butts I only need to repair them two to three times a year.

There is a material I could purchase to cover the 48 inches that costs $240.00 a sheet.  Since most of my arrows land in or near the same spot the $240.00 for a large sheet seemed expensive.  Instead I plug the holes with installation foam, after wrapping the butt and using a cut out from a yoga mat to cover the center of the target.  It only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to make the repair and it is good for several months.  The material for the repair per repair runs less than $10 each time.

The yoga mat I am currently using is a cheapo.  It can be cut with scissors, costs less than 10 bucks and adds life to repair.

This morning was a recovery day from shooting so it was repair day.  I’ve found that the installation foam takes a little longer to dry because for the packing wrap that covers the butt.  After pulling an arrow out of a repaired target that only have 24 hours drying to find goop on it I now wait a couple of days. While one target is drying to practice on another.

Hole is filled now waiting everything to dry.

Even though I’d hoped to have a 100-yard lane for practice I make due worth the shorter lane.  I don’t need to make many shots over 80 yards and can avoid the 100 yards shots by not shooting in the class that requires a 100 yard shot.

Photo taken at 70 yards

Having access to targets whenever I want is great.  Keeping up with repairs and range maintenance is worth the effort.